Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Neiman Marcus for Target was it the right Collaboration?

Charlee B. Fashion, Beauty and Finance Chronicles
Neiman Marcus for Target was it the right Collaboration?
Hello Beautiful Ones,
Let’s get right to the T! So, this week the Neiman Marcus for Target Collection showcased itself in Target stores across the nation and at Target online. Well, what do you all think? Was it what you expected or did it exceed your expectations?  Was it the right collaboration for Target Stores? Months before the launch of this collaboration with some of the country’s top luxury designers I was able to sneak a peek at some of the items that were to become available for purchase. In that moment, I wasn’t sure if I was that impressed by what I had seen I was told it was created to increase sales for the holidays in hopes consumers would purchase all these items as gifts. Being a Target shopper myself and also loving most of the designers that collaborated with them in the past I noticed that there were some items that were very reasonable priced like the Tory Burch Lunch Bag and Thermos and the 4 piece plate set by Tracey Reese among other items.
Target had prepared for an ambush for these designer labeled items thinking they would get the same frenzy as they did with the Missoni Collection for Target some time ago. The consumer turn-out for this multiple designer collaboration was lack luster in comparison to the past collaborations. You may be thinking but it’s just the first week but in the retail/ fashion industry that can be crucial for revenue when it comes time to tally up at the end of the year. So, I visited a Target in my area and was surprised to see so much of the merchandise still on the racks. Online I found that only some designers’ collabo items were sold out but not all the designer collaboration pieces.  For this event to had been a success I believe they should have stuck to what works much similar to what they did with the Missoni collection. One way, would be by introducing each designer as a collection with apparel and homes goods but in different intervals of the seasons.  It is easy to see people are buying the designer(s) they love and those are who are being sold out.  I think this was the right collabo but the wrong way to showcase the items and the wrong price points for majority of the Target consumer.  On the other hand, I appreciate Target for wanting to bring luxury to us working class and middle class consumers who want the look of luxury and what they consider budget friendly prices. Honestly, I wonder if majority of the Target customer even knows who half of the designers are that are showcased in this collection. This thought could have something to do with why everything is not sold out, most people buy for brand name first and then quality.
Well my fashion followers I enjoyed sharing my thoughts with you and I welcome your thoughts as well catch you on Fabulous Friday.
Stay Gorgeous Always,
Charlee B

3 comments:

  1. I agree with this post. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct, the designers should have been showcased separately. Because the average joe does not know the designers brand. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, the collection consists of a bunch of random items that are priced too high, or at least for me it's a little steap.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment